Monday, June 1, 2009

Meet the Lovely Couple


Here's the Father his name is Tillikum,

Tillikum is a Blue/white Halfmoon Betta (which is a different type of Betta since his tail, when fully spread looks like a halfmoon. There is another species which is more common called Veiltails, which tails are longer and kind of looks like a brides veil.)
He was Found by a friend who works at my local pet shop. He kept Tilly just for me as he knew i was looking for a very special blue betta. Tilly is a very special blue betta. I named him after a special whale who I am particularly attached to. The name "Tillikum" is Chinook jargon which is a language used in the Pacific Northwest. Tillikum means "Friend."




Here is the Expectant Mama her name is Rikku.
Rikku I bought at a pet shop which she for some reason caught my eye. She is a young female who is a halfmoon Plakat. Plakats are another type of betta. their tail types are completely different than the more common Veil tails as explained above. Her red colors with the hint of blues and greens. I believe she would make a great mate to my Tillikum.
For the past few days I've been in the process of conditioning her to Tillikum. They are currently in a ten gallon tank with a divider between them. the water is at warm 86 degrees, Indian almond leaf has been introduced and i also threw in a little bit of Black water extract.
*Update #1:
Tillikum has been flaring less at Rikku and created a magnificent Bubble nest for her. Rikku's interest in Tilly has been pretty good. She follows him around, her vertical bars are showing and lighter which means big time interest and recently the egg tube has begun to protrude. she's getting kinda fat with eggs which is a good thing. So here's hoping I have some great news tomorrow!! have a good night!

0 comments: